Hawker Stand Food part 1 of a billion or so…Tornado Potatos

This is a potato tornado…it is, in essence, a bag of chips on a stick.

Tons of hawker stands sell them, but the one pictured above was bought on the B4 (basement level 4) of Ion Orchard (which also has 4 floor of regular shops beyond the 4 basement levels…and nope, isn’t the largest mall in Singapore), which is about a 20 minute walk from home for me.  It’s a single potato, spiral cut into one piece, deep fried and then they put whatever you want on it..salt and pepper, or in my case, chili powder.  It’s cheap, it’s fattening and it’s delicious.  What’s not to love?  Except the weight you’ll put on eating them, that is.

Posting will be shorter and lighter than usual this week with my in-laws and preparations for Phuket…thanks for understanding!

This entry was posted in food/drink, Places to Eat, Singapore and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Hawker Stand Food part 1 of a billion or so…Tornado Potatos

1. cubicalgirl says:

I totally want one of these. And the name alone is awesome!

I’ve never seen or tried this before…interesting 🙂

Multiple stands at Ion B4 have them. I think I got mine with a korean satay stick of something I didn’t like.

3. Nancy says:

Think of the money you’ll make when you bring this delicious looking item back to New England in a year or two. Something NEW to join the fried dough and hot dog/sausage and fresh squeezed lemonade kiosks.

4. Ange says:

I am already figuring out how to get hold of my mom’s apple peeler/corer/slicer and make one for myself . . . . that looks awesome. Potato chips on a stick!!!!

5. I saw the same darn thing at GermanFest in Muenster, TX a few months ago. Several stands were selling them, but I can’t remember what they were called. Probably “Potato on a Stick”.

I don’t remember either what toppings were available. I was just bemused and wondering how this food item was “German”. Then again, cashews, peanuts, and pecans aren’t German, either, and they were selling like hotcakes!

6. Brandy says: