News

I know that this isn’t going to come as a big shock, but…

Ravi and I are expecting another little Expat Bostonian in mid-November.  I’m approximately 10 weeks in, and we’ve had several ultrasounds the confirm a healthy single baby with a good heartbeat.

We’ve been sharing the news quietly, but with the trip home (and the greatest risk of miscarriage behind us) we are happy to share our news with all of you.

We have a tradition of giving the baby a nickname to use during pregnancy.  We won’t find out the sex for another couple of months (yes, we’re dying to know), so we need to call him/her something for now.  Elanor was called “Emby” because when we found out about her, she was developmentally an Embryo–hence Emby.  This one has earned the name “Wheelie” for now…combining the fact that I was wheelchair bound at the time and we were pretty shocked; our reaction to the news was “REALLY???” as the positive test followed 4 negative pregnancy tests.  Not that we weren’t trying and hoping for a positive…just after 4 negatives, it wasn’t what we were expecting.  So…Wheelie.

No worries about this turning into a pregnancy journal, although obviously I’ll post about stuff from time to time.

Thus far, I’m deeply grateful to say I’ve only throw up once, although I’m often nauseous and have run from “bad smells” on multiple occasions.  I’m tired quite a bit of the time (which is again, totally normal in the first trimester).  My diabetic control thus far is perfect, and my a1c (long term blood sugar reading) is down into the normal range thanks to insulin and monitoring.  This makes a nice change from the near constant puking I had with Elanor from week 7 through delivery.

I’ve found an OB locally at Gleneagles Hospital, and she’s working in tandem with my team in Boston (who I’ll visit while home just to check up on things and run a few tests) so I feel confident in the decisions we’re making together.

I hope you’ll join us in our excitement.

This entry was posted in Pregnant Expat. Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to News

1. kirsten says:

YAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Mid-November? Your baby and I are going to be birthday buddies. I can tell.

As long as they don’t come early and step all over E’s Nov 3rd b-day. It’s funny because that’s what I’m most nervous about–her birthday and when I should schedule her party and all sorts of silly nonsense.

I know so many cool people with November birthdays 🙂

2. Laura says:

Congratulations! Lovely news x

3. Erica says:

Congrats!! I am so glad this one came ‘relatively’ easy for you this go round! I struggled having the first one also and got a great ‘surprise’ with the second one. When i read one of your post a while back about all your medical stuff I felt like, yet again you were a fly on the wall in my life writing about it! Hope you continue to feel great and this pregnancy is a piece of cake for you!!

The diabetic control has been a bit dicey at times (nausea plus insulin aren’t always a good mix) but so far so good. Just keep fingers crossed.

Big Hug!!! This is the most exciting blog post I have read in a long time.

I am sooooo excited and so happy for you and Ravi!!! Yay November baby!!! I happen to be one too. Very cool!

Pretty close to Baby E’s birthday and your birthday as well 🙂

Would love to see lil E’s reaction in a vlog 🙂 Love to watch her in your vlogs….she’s such a cutie patootie.

I actually told Ellie before I told Ravi because I wanted her to tell Ravi on the phone. Unfortunately he didn’t quite understand what she was saying and when I whispered to her to say “I’m going to be a big sister” she whispered too. Sigh.

She’s excited, but in a way that makes it quite clear that she doesn’t understand what a “big sister” really is. We’re reading her books about becoming a big sister, and I special ordered a doll to help explain pregnancy/childbirth/breastfeeding in an age appropriate way….but I think the reality of a baby is going to be a rude awakening. She loves babies, but she’s very possessive of me, so we’ll see how she does. Her reaction to the actual baby will definitely be videotaped.

5. Maria says:

How lovely for the whole family! Congratulations and best wishes for a smooth pregnancy. The Big Sister stuff is going to be so much fun!

Ravi and I are both only children so the whole “sister” thing is going to be all new and exciting territory for us 🙂 Thanks!

6. Jeff says:

hey – too cool! Congrats!!

7. Tina C. says:

I’m with Bookjunkie, I’d love to see E’s reaction as well 🙂 Congrats!

She’ll tell you she’s going to be a big sister, but doesn’t quite understand what that means.

Her reaction to the actual baby will certainly be chronicled and posted 🙂

Congratulations! I’m glad the MS is better for you this time! (Having a toddler who actually sleeps through the night probably makes a BIG difference…)

As am I. As it is my dentist always asks me to remind him why my back molars are so pitted. NOT bulemia…pregnancy (Although given my pregnancy last time around, the only quantifiable difference is that it wasn’t self-inflicted). Honestly, having a helper who gets up with E is the biggest difference especially in the first trimester exhaustion.

• Dawn says:

Pregnancy is awful for teeth even if you’re not throwing up, because calcium gets sapped from your bones (including your teeth) to make the baby’s bones. I’m in terrible trouble right now because I can’t tolerate dairy and therefore have a lot of trouble getting calcium, especially because I basically have a choice of supplementing calcium or iron (if you take them together, they inhibit each other’s absorption – and yes, that means prenatal vitamins often need to be supplemented with additional calcium and/or iron). 😦

Yeah I often need calcium supplements as I’m not big on dairy (Kimball’s aside), but struggle with them as they’re one of the few pills larger than my prenatal.

• Dawn says:

I use the Viactive calcium chews. They taste like tootsie roll pops!

• Dawn says:

…er, I meant Viactiv, and tootsie rolls. 🙂

tried them in the past with not great results, but possibly worth trying again

• Dawn says:

Just remember not to do your calcium within 2 hours of iron (or prenatal, which contains iron). 🙂 (It won’t make you sick or anything, but you won’t absorb the nutrients properly.)

thanks for the reminder 🙂

9. Yay! Congratulations to you all, it wonderful to increase your family!

Stay healthy, my dear.

10. notabilia says:

Congrats. What wonderful news! Best wishes for a healthy, happy pregnancy.

11. Kate says:

Congrats! That’s such exciting news, and it sounds like everything has worked out well w/r/t medical care etc. Have a great trip back to the U.S. 🙂

thanks! Looking forward to splurging on American everything before returning home to Singapore where the pollen isn’t trying to kill me (we’re coming into the worst of my allergy season…I predict I’ll be talking like a frog within 10 days of arrival, especially as I can’t take the good drugs with a pregnancy).

12. kierstens says:

Congrats!!! What wonderful news! May you have a beautiful, healthy baby!!