Borders Singapore

The recent news that the American (and Australian) Borders Bookstores are being liquidated and closed represents the end of an era for me.  For over 10 years, Borders was my bookstore of choice in the US.

Ironically, moving to Singapore has drastically changed both my reading and my book purchase style.  In general, I purchase E-books for Kindle (and that loyalty is the big reason I’m switching from an iPhone to an Android phone), as the price of a book in Singapore is significantly higher than their US equivalent.  There are sometimes selection issues as well that make buying American E-books the easiest and most convienent choice as well.  When I do buy phyiscal books (photogrpahy books, manuals, travel guides) my bookstore of choice is Kinokuniya, a Japanese chain whose anchor store is about triple the size of the local Borders.

Yes, we have Borders.  And no, they’re not part of the bankruptcy-they are a wholly private company that has the rights to use the name and branding of Borders.  Although, as Ravi and I discovered on Saturday night, they seem to be moving away from the close identification with US Borders Bookstores, and are aggressively rebranding themselves as “Borders Singapore”

Ravi took this photo with his phone

I took this with my phone…most shelves now have the rebranded logo.

I don’t think the reality of the US Borders closing has actually hit me, nor will it until I’m driving around my home area and just see empty stores where the books used to live.  Which will likely make me very sad.

To be honest, if the Borders in Singapore closed tomorrow, I wouldn’t really care.  I like Kinokuniya SO MUCH more here, and like I noted, I mostly do e-books on my kindle app.  But the closed Borders back home will definitely affect me.

This entry was posted in Pictures, Shopping, shopping, Singapore, US. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Borders Singapore

I prefer Kino too 🙂 found the prices lower.

How was the US Borders different? Just curious.

Bigger, better selection (especially with regards to CD’s and DVD’s), almost always had a coffee shop inside. Lots more sales (3 for 2, etc).

2. moonberry says:

i’ve always been an amazon.com girl…. 😛 but pre-internet, i bought all my books from barnes & noble and strand bookstore (pretty well-known 2nd hand bookstore in NYC).

3. KJ says:

Borders Singapore is owned by the REDGroup, who also owned the now-defunct Australian chain of Borders. Te collapse of the REDGRoup’s book retailing arm in Australia has meant that there are NO book retailers in the vast majority of Australian shopping centres, as it also took out our oldest book shop chain, Angus & Robertson.

Coming from a barren book-selling country I was thrilled to find bookshops in Singapore in almost every mall.

Yes, but Australia is getting Amazon. You can’t know what I would be willing to do for Amazon in Singapore.

4. Karin says:

I love Kinokuniya to bits! Heaps better than Borders ever was in Melbourne. I’ve found most prices cheaper than Australia and, of course, the range of books is just amazing. Plus, they have a huge number of art and craft books and get new releases from the US really fast. I lived outside Melbourne and found it very hard to get books I actually wanted, other than by purchasing online.

KinoKuniya is truly awesome 🙂

But you had amazon…we don’t have it…and I’d kill for it. (We do have access to amazon uk, but it’s a pain).

• Karin says:

I always used Amazon USA because there was no Amazon in Australia then. Then I got onto Book Depository (who post to Singapore for free too). I also bought second-hand if I could find it. But when paying in S$ I’m not sure who works out the cheapest these days. haven’t worked it out yet. At least Book Depository packaging fits in my mailbox here whereas I doubt whether Amazon’s would.

Didn’t book depository just get purchased by Amazon? I heard about them for the first time days before the announcement.

Honestly, now that purchasing books also means that many more that I have to haul back to the US (or get rid of prior to a move, as the girl’s book take priority over ours) for the most part it’s just easier to get ebooks most of the time (barring the occasional book like a travel guide, cookbook, or photography guide where I prefer a physical layout….or the books that aren’t on e-readers yet).

5. brendan says:

Have you priced university text book in SIngapore? Much much much cheaper and all stamped “not for sale in North America”

I honestly haven’t looked at text books here as most of the books for my area of study aren’t “text” books. But now I’m curious. Will have to investigate…I’d love a book just for the value of it being stamped “not for sale in north america!”

6. Pingback: Borders Singapore seems to have closed! « Expat Bostonians