Health Update and Hilarious Bathroom Signs

So I’m still pregnant.  Today I’m 34 weeks and 6 days; tomorrow is 35 weeks and two weeks from tomorrow I’ll be at term.

I’ve spoken to my doctor, who is back in town (and much to my relief has no plans to be out of town before December).    She has said that now that I’ve received the steroid shot to mature the baby’s lungs if I go into labor despite the medication and the bedrest, we won’t take measures to stop it.  I’ve been experiencing sporadic contractions, but nothing in a pattern… a state that continue until my original induction date in November.  I mostly find it frustrating that they don’t mean anything…I could have a baby 24 hours from the start of them or in 4 weeks as planned.  As someone who is a big fan of plans, schedules and order, this is definitely one of the things that makes pregnancy a challenge.

Ravi was incredibly sweet to ask if he could take me out of the house if I were in a wheelchair.  We still have the one we bought when I broke my leg in January.  She said that as long as I wasn’t walking, she could support him taking me out of the house.  Last night Ravi took me to a movie (Friends with Benefits if you care–it was a fun 90 minutes or so and I liked their chemistry) and it was a relief to be out of the house.

From here on out, I see my OB twice a week.  This week I’ll see her tomorrow and Friday.  We’ll be doing the regular ante-natal testing I get at this point in the pregnancy.  They do a non-stress test to check for regular contractions and to see how the baby’s heart rate is handling them…basically I lay down for 30 minutes with two belts attached me.  I also get a biophysical profile, which is an ultrasound based test.  They measure the amount of fluid around the baby (diabetics are at risk for low fluid), look for movement, watch to see her practice breathing, and a few other measures to make sure she’s still looking okay.

Until October 25th, when I hit full term, I’m still on bed rest (which apart from the random Ravi treat does still mean bed/home) so there isn’t much new to share.

In that spirit, I’m lucky to have some things I’ve been holding back for slow posting weeks.  Today’s surprise….some hilarious bathroom signs from an accessible bathroom at Marina Square.  Click to enlarge…

This entry was posted in Funny Bathrooms, funny signs, Pregnant Expat, Singapore. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Health Update and Hilarious Bathroom Signs

1. Kirsten says:

I saw Friends With Benefits when I was in Manila. It was better than I thought, and agreed, Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis have lovely chemistry.

Glad you’re doing okay! 😀

Glad you’re doing well and bringing us along for the journey 🙂 Rooting for a very very smooth delivery and will be checking on your updates.

Those toilet ads make me kinda squeamish…the yuck factor is very high (which people would be more considerate)…sometimes I really try to avoid using the public toilet unless it’s in a mall which is regularly cleaned. When I travel to the US or Australia I am so impressed at how clean everything is. Only thing I am not used to – the toilet doors gaps are huge and the toilet paper is really closer to paper than tissue.

I find the variety of toilets in Singapore to be fascinating. There are plenty where I just close my eyes and get things done with. But then there are ones like ION’s, which are way nicer (and, as you noted FAR more private) than most in the US. I think you see the full spectrum here. But the signs crack me up because you never see stuff like that in the US. I’ve actually been seeing a lot of “helpful” cartoons about Singapore over the past year and keep meaning to specifically address them in an entry.

It’s funny how you brought up the door gaps…I grew up in the US, but it was really only the last trip home where I looked up and realized exactly how large those gaps seem to be!

I also agree that the toilet paper in US public restrooms sucks.

Other thought—you’ll probably hear more about the baby that you want to because both sets of parents read the blog and they won’t get to meet her until Xmas 🙂

Good luck! Yes, second-time labors can be weird. I never had regular nor particularly strong/close together contractions, but I progressed fairly quickly. When I first got to the hospital in the morning, my contractions had gotten to 4 min apart at home but immediately slowed to about 9-10 minutes, and I was only 1 cm, so they threatened to send me home. After breakfast and a couple of hours, they checked me and I’d already gotten to 5 cm so they didn’t need to send me home. They offered me the epidural, which I gladly accepted, but it took a while before I got bloodwork back for clearance because they were expecting to have more time. After the epidural went in, my contractions had slowed to 10 min apart, and didn’t appear particularly strong on the monitor, so after a couple of hours the midwife came back and was about to give me pitocin to speed things up, but luckily I asked her to check me again first and it turned out I was 8-9 cm already so she didn’t need to give me pitocin after all. I was only on the epidural for about an hour before I felt pushy, and they didn’t believe me so they made me wait, so that was fine since I was barely feeling anything due to the anesthesia – and by the time I convinced them to check again, I was so ready that it only took two contractions (5 minutes apart, so a lot of waiting in between) to get my son out, and I didn’t even push very hard. He didn’t tear much either. I totally feel like I cheated through labor completely this time.

Congrats on the new arrival! He’s adorable!

I can only say I hope I cheat through labor this time. The contractions I’ve had thus far are WAY WORSE than any I had with Elanor–I’m guessing because it was an induction and that I got the epidural early on so I never had bend halfway over and cry out pangs the way I have this time.

• Dawn says:

Ahh, well, I was induced for F (after my water broke and didn’t go into labor on my own) and the contractions were horrible and super close together (1-2 minutes). I managed to stick it out for about 10 hours unmedicated before getting the epidural then but this time I just didn’t want to take any chances once they started getting even a little painful. Hopefully your real-labor contractions will not be too bad, or at least you’ll be able to get an epidural early. Sucks that you have to deal with the contractions now. 😦 I did notice (this time) that they were not as bad if I breathed deeply through them, but it’s hard to remember to do that.

By the way, a bit of random information; the hospital’s pediatrician was telling me about the vitamin supplementation requirement. Apparently the only really important one is Vitamin D, and it’s linked to immune system development, such that babies who do not get enough Vitamin D are more likely to develop allergies and autoimmune disorders. While breast milk does not contain Vitamin D, sunlight is very effective at causing the body to produce Vitamin D, so since you’re near the equator, whether you breast feed or bottle-feed, it’s not going to be an issue for you. However, since my son is a winter baby (F was a summer baby which is maybe why she doesn’t seem to have suffered any ill-effects from not taking her vitamins), we’ll probably try to get some Vitamin D into him orally.

It’s been forever, but I feel like we were only told vitamin D for Ellie when she was on the boob milk. Not that we gave it to her…too busy trying to keep her blood pressure meds and such in check.

Totally off topic–the blood pressure med that helped her body transition when her kidney was failing was one of the ones named specifically as being in critical shortage in the US right now and that they’re rationing it. Scares me to consider what other life-saving drugs we have to thank for Ellie might be out of reach for a child in her situation today.