I don’t think regular readers will be shocked to hear that little Wheelie is arriving soon. You may be surprised to hear “soon” means in about 5 hours from the writing of this post, however.
I’ve been fairly quiet because I didn’t want to alarm people, but over the past week, I’ve started displaying signs that I was developing a condition called pre-eclampsia. We’ve been monitoring it closely…daily, in fact, for the past three days…trying to decide at what point the baby would be better off out than in. It’s been a close call since Tuesday, and today my rising blood pressure and secondary symptoms indicated that we would both be better off with her out than in. We could have pushed things another 24-48 hours, but we would then be running the risk of things deteriorating into an emergency situation. Right now, I’m still stable enough that we could calmly book the operating room, call the pediatrician to stand by, and approach things calmly. Honestly, I prefer the calm to the storm.
Due to my high blood pressure, I’ll be having the baby via C section. A vaginal induction at this point has risks that aren’t worth taking. With luck the spinal will take (there’s some chance it won’t due to scar tissue from previous back surgery), and Ravi will be in the room with me. He’ll go with Wheelie to the nursery while I recover.
I’m 35 weeks and 3 days along. At this point, the baby looks to be just about normal newborn sized, she’s had the steroid to help her lungs mature (although I’m far enough along that had I gone into pre-term labor this week they wouldn’t have given it as most baby’s lungs at this point are fine), and while she could need a little extra attention, she is expected to be fine if a little undercooked.
Wish me luck…I’ll be back with pictures and the announcement as soon as I’m conscious and have internet. Maybe not tonight, but hopefully by tomorrow I’ll have something.