Decorating for Halloween

Trick or Treating info for 2013 here

Halloween has long been among my favorite holidays, if not my favorite holiday of all.  What’s not to love about dressing up and getting free candy?

The holiday as we celebrate it in the US is not really “done” here in Singapore.  There are a few token efforts–some candy and a few costumes in the grocery stores, and the random display or product here or there.  I’ve heard rumors of trick or treating in “Little America” (the neighborhood by the Singapore American School) but I have not verified these rumors.

Knowing this would be the first Halloween where Elanor would be old enough to get into the holiday, I made a point of picking up decorations, mixes (cupcakes and pumpkin cookies), and plates/cups/etc when we were home.  I also picked up a costume for her (she’ll be Rapunzel, of the Disney variety) while we were home.  I didn’t pick up anything for Rhiannon because….well…she wasn’t supposed to be out of the oven yet.  Luckily, my brilliant friend Aimee suggested I dress Rhi up as a frying pan (this only makes sense if you’ve seen “Tangled”), a very easy to make costume that I’ll be able to easily pull together.

Over the last few days Ellie and I decorated the house.

On the tv–Season 1 of Hell’s Kitchen–my new obsession  The cat and pumpkin were made by my mom in 04/05 school year.  The pumpkin garland is the only decoration I bought here in Singapore.

Notice the toddler height bats, skeletons and haunted houses.  The witch was made by mom for my classroom in the 04/05 school year

Gel clings and static clings…I did the high ups

After a disastrous attempt at having Elanor “help” me clean out the pumpkin, I decided to just follow in my mom’s much wiser footsteps and just gave Elanor a marker to draw on the pumpkin.  On the plus side, I did scrape out the pumpkin on my own and have seeds to roast and pumpkin meat for muffins.  Next year we just draw on the solid pumpkin and call it quits.

I have no idea what we’ll actually DO on Halloween.  Last year Toys R Us was doing face painting, and I’ll need to keep an eye out for activities that Ellie might enjoy.  But I really hope that we’ll manage to do a visit home over Halloween in the future.  While in general I focus on all the benefits of living abroad and the new experiences that Ellie and Rhiannon will have…missing out on trick or treating on a crisp fall evening, the leaves crunching under their feet as they run from house to house acquiring candy is one that I feel sad that they are missing out on.

This entry was posted in Holidays (Not Singaporean), Pictures. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Decorating for Halloween

1. Kirsten says:

Rhi could also be the little chameleon! *has clearly watched Tangled too many times*

Love the decorations. Especially the witch, cat and pumpkin. See your kitty there too.

I’ve never experienced a real autumn ‘cept on TV…..orange & red leaves etc. Autumn in Boston sounds like a dream.

3. Malaficent says:

Our local Walmart was doing pumpkin painting & possibly face painting the last time I was there.

Apparently we used to have walmart in Singapore, but it closed a few years ago, sadly. I’m much more a Target girl, but in Singapore, I’d be thrilled for a Wal-mart.

4. Eric (Outback Steakhouse Singapore) says:

Crystal, congratulations on your newborn daughter! I’m so happy for you. I know I’m saying this a bit late, but I’ve only just found your blog again. I’m very happy for you. As well, the Halloween decorations look great and I’m happy to see that even in Asia there are American holidays in full swing.

I understand that you’re still recovering, but I’d love to meet up with you soon if we can arrange it. As well, i hope you already know that Wicked is coming to Singapore in December! I’m so excited!!

All my best,

Eric from Outback Steakhouse

Are you back in Singapore?

We have tickets for Wicked’s last or next to last performance (the baby will be old enough for me to let her stay with our helper for the few hours by then)…I’m so excited to go. But I’m also kind of fascinated that it’s coming, considering the political undertones of the show 🙂

Re: “What’s not to love about dressing up and getting free candy?”

My parents HATED Halloween, to the point where I was forbidden for years from trick-or-treating (until I begged to go with friends that were already going AND made my own costume). My mom refers to it as the holiday where “kids are taught to extort junk food from strangers.”

As a parent myself now, the costume part annoys me; it’s something you either have to spend hours making or money buying, all for something they’ll wear for a couple of hours and then grow out of. And, at least here, you have to worry about whether it’s weather appropriate – and if it’s not, you need to put coats on over it, such that when they do go out, nobody can see their costume anyway.

As a suburban resident, I find many trick-or-treaters annoying. I live in a middle-class neighborhood and some kids who do not live nearby are driven to our neighborhood because they believe people here give out big/good candy. “Tourist treaters” we call them, and that’s being generous. Some of the older ones are downright rude, and last year we got some that didn’t even bother dressing in costume. If you have a bowl of candy, and hold it out, they don’t even wait for you to grab one and give it to them, they just dig in and grab as many as they can fit into two hands. I totally understand why many people turn off their lights and pretend not to be home on Halloween.

Final gripe about Halloween: not knowing how much candy to get. Running out is embarrassing (and likely if you don’t check the greedy ones who grab handfuls), but having too much means you end up with a bunch of candy you feel bad throwing away but really ought not to be eating either. (If you have enough self control, you can save it until next year, but I certainly don’t, unless it’s candy I don’t want/can’t eat anyway.)

We always bought candy we’d eat ourselves if we didn’t get enough trick or treaters. That was the sucky part about living in a “luxury” doorman building…they didn’t let in the neighborhood trick or treaters.

For us, the costume that E gets just goes in the dress up box. And I’ve bought enough one-off event dresses over the years that it doesn’t bother me. You can also always make a costume or get one at a consignment store for a reasonable discount.

I get that not everyone loves it…but it’s still one of my favorite days of the year.