Sick of my kids being sick

So Ellie was sick earlier this week (and still spiking the occasional fever), but now Rhiannon is sick too. The difference between a three year old getting sick and an almost one month old getting sick?  The one month old gets hospitalized as a precaution.

So here we are, back at Gleneagles, four weeks to the day that Rhiannon was born several floors below us, and where we cuddled in our first room one floor above us.

Rhiannon had trouble keeping down her milk, so at around 10pm last night, we made the tough choice to allow her to be IV’d.  An IV in our baby is a scary prospect…moreso for us than for the average parent, because Elanor’s brush with death began with four knocked out IV’s and the bacteria that found its way into her body via one of those open wounds created by the absence of the IV.  It doesn’t help matters that her terrifying re-admission to the hospital was three years ago today, precisely.

It also does not help matters that Rhiannon seems to be anti-IV as her elder sister.  She wants to eat the IV.

IV’s are tastier than mama milk…

We tried safety pinning her IV’d arm to the mattress.  Rhiannon somehow used that safety pin to cantilever her body into the idea position to gum at the bandages covering the IV on her arm.

What?  I was just looking at it.

We then tried taping her arm to the side of her isolette.  She pulled her arm free.

Tape will not hold me down

Finally, and hopefully successfully, we seem to have come between her and the IV, by putting a sock over her hand/arm.

This is the face of resignation….for now

Rhi will be fine. She’s stopped projectile vomiting, and is on her 24 hour drip.  With luck she’ll go home Saturday or Sunday.  I’m at the hospital with her, breastfeeding as she tolerates and pumping otherwise.

This entry was posted in medical, Singapore. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Sick of my kids being sick

1. Hope Rhi feels better soon and you all get home and stay healthy!

breaks my heart to see your poor lil darling like that. Hope baby recovers real soon and you can all get back home.

Ugh – poor all of you! I saw on twitter that you have it now too. 😦 For the record, there’s no reason not to continue bf’ing as possible if you’re sure that what you have is what Rhi has – she’s already got it, and is fighting it with her own antibodies, so you can only make it better by sharing your own. Of course, bf’ing may make YOU weaker, so probably you should ask the doctor about that – but that would counterindicate pumping too, and my guess is that your breasts will produce whether you express milk or not, so better not to be in pain in addition to being sick. Also, the fact that you got it explains why Rhi got it in the first place; if you’d had good immunity, you would have shared antibodies with her as soon as you were both exposed and then neither of you would have gotten sick. Good luck, and I hope you all get better soon!

I did ask the doctors here because that’s the common attitude back home, but the issue is that they’re poorly educated about the positive aspects of breastfeeding through illness and Hale’s guide to bfing and drug safety. So I got bad advice and dumped milk I didn’t need to. Which is frustrating, but it’s time to move on. I alerted the hospital’s lactation consultant and I’m emailing the head of nursing (who I had to talk to when there was an issue after Rhi was born) just to remind them of the existence of Hale’s guide and to encourage them to educate the staff.

Ironic really, that I’m such a lactivist here when in general my preferred stance is that everyone needs to take a step back and chill out. But of course that’s due to the huge cultural differences and the lack of education on breastfeeding here, whereas at home it’s stuffed down your throat by every parenting magazine (here they assume bottle feeding, and huge sections are sponsored by formula companies–a post for another day), doctors etc.

Although to be fair, I don’t know how much more I would’ve done once I got so ill that I got hospitalized too.

• Dawn says:

The fact that you can so easily “move on” after dumping milk unnecessarily is a testament to your ample production; after your fear that you wouldn’t be able to keep up with the little one, I am so happy for you that you’re making so much! (Hope the fountains don’t make too much of a mess. 😉

My production is still down…taking domperidone to try to recover, pumping and letting her nurse on demand…but I’m hopeful it will recover. At the end of the day, I’m upset, but what can I really do, and what good will dwelling on the lost ounces do?

• Dawn says:

Eat & drink as much as you can to help with production…if you were producing enough before, you can surely produce enough again. I always find my production is a couple of days behind demand, so if the baby’s not eating much for a day or two, I get engorged, and then once the baby’s demand goes back up, I’m struggling to keep up for a while until I catch up. Just hang in there! That’s what extra milk in the fridge is for! Let her suck you dry and if she’s still begging for more and you don’t think she can hold out, give her an ounce or two of stored milk (or if you’re out, formula)…just enough to get her to wait for you to refill for the next feeding. And then next time she’s asleep or otherwise not eating for long enough for you to get even a little engorged, pump to make up the ounces you missed. Good luck; I’m sure it’ll get better!

thanks.

4. Karin says:

Hope that the whole family are recovered and healthy very soon!

5. Pingback: One of the downsides of NOT having a maid/helper | Expat Bostonians