The best laid schemes of Mice and Men
oft go awry,
And leave us nothing but grief and pain,
For promised joy!
To a mouse, 1785
Forgive the melodrama of opening and titling the post with that poem, but it’s been a really rough 24 hours.
Ellie brought home some pre-school cold plague last week. No big. Everyone got it, which was irritating, but again, no big. Until Rhiannon started wheezing and struggling to breathe last night.
I brought her to the Children’s Hospital, where she was admitted and eventually tested positive for RSV and brochioloitis. RSV is a nasty virus that made the rest of us mildly sick and Rhiannon more seriously so. Bronchioloitis is a respiratory infection that causes swelling in the air passageways, making it hard for young babies in particular to breathe. She is being given nebulizer treatments every 4 hours, which have helped dramatically. We are very lucky that her chest X-ray came back negative for pneumonia and that the nebulizer is working. With luck she’ll go home tomorrow night or Thursday, barring deterioration of her condition.
She will be unable to fly as scheduled.
We are considering two game plans. If her health stabilizes, we are looking at flying home on the 31rst and staying for two weeks. Otherwise, we will wait until the end of January for Chinese New Year. Other factors that will influence our decision will be the ticket change fees and cost differentials.
So, no Christmas in Boston. Hopefully New Years in Boston, though.
We will keep you posted on her health and our flight plans as thing develop. Posting may be erratic or non existant until Rhi is out of the hospital…the internet here doesn’t work, and Ravi has set up a remote access point using my phone, which while working is not necessarily a stable connection.