Wordless Wednesday–Cornfield

Massachusetts isn’t really a big farm state.  We have lots of small farms that make food for local farmers markets, roadside stands, and CSA’s (community supported agriculture).  You can definitely “eat local” here in MA (at least part of the year), and in the summer that means fresh from the stalk corn.

Fresh corn is absolutely one of the foods we miss in Singapore, precisely because you CAN get corn that’s been imported from the US…but it sucks.  The kernels are small and it doesn’t have the fresh ripe sweetness to it.  So we generally skip it.

I passed a field of corn in Concord, Massachusetts on the drive to my mom’s house a week ago or so.  I decided to stop and take a few pictures so I could show you another side of my home state.

This is  part of a field of corn growing by the side of the road.  On the opposite side of the road (rte 2 heading west, just after the Concord Rotary for the locals) is a field that will be ripe with pumpkins in a few months.  On the other side of the Rotary is a Medium security prison for me and a state police office.  About five minutes away is Orchard House (where Louisa May Alcott wrote and set Little Women).  Ten minutes away is the hospital where I was born (not that anyone cares, but a fun fact).

Boston is about a 30 minute drive away…maybe 45 if you don’t speed.

The thing in the middle with the brown top is an ear of corn still maturing on the stalk.  In a few weeks it will be ripe for picking and sold at a local market.  When I go to farm stands here, I’ll peel back the top layer of green and inspect if the kernels are big and bright yellow, which tells me its ripe, or if they’re small and miserly (or not quite a full yellow) and not yet ready (which is the standard condition of ears of corn imported from the US).

Some farms will let you pick your own ears, others just sell them to you.  In some parts of MA, they will put out a stand and a box and you take the corn (or apples, depending on time of year) and leave the money in the box.

The giant gorgeous sky above the field.

I had hoped we’d be able to do some strawberry picking, but the season ended before we arrived and it’s just a few weeks too early for apple picking.  But maybe a friend will share some apple picking pics this fall for me?  HINT HINT.

This entry was posted in Boston, North America, Pictures, Travel by Continent, Country, US. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Wordless Wednesday–Cornfield

1. Robin says:

Ahhh, I grew up in what I call Farmland, USA. Though I have gotten used to urban life, I miss feeling so small looking out over acre after acre of crops that seem to stretch to the horizon. And the sky! I remember that it took my breath away! THANKS for the pics!!

I’ve never been to that part of the US, and I’d love to see it first-hand. I’ve always wanted to drive cross country, even though I’m told that when I hit Farmland USA it’s just hours of corn/soybean fields. My reply was that if I could survive hours of the Jersey Turnpike, I can handle hours of produce 🙂 I think it would be really cool to see where most of the food I’ve eaten comes from.

2. DT says:

The best corn you can get in Sg is definitely the Pearl Corn from Cameron Highlands, Malaysia. The kernels can get quite gigantic and taste really sweet and juicy when steamed w/butter or made into soups. MUST TRY. They are only available in the local wet markets though.

Thank you!

Having realized that Singapore is starting to feel more like home, I’d made the mental commitment to try to go to the wet markets more, as I love the quality of produce there. I don’t often go because I get easily overwhelmed there, and I felt like I couldn’t handle it with both girls. But now you’re giving me some real motivation to stop being such a baby about it.

3. I don’t know why I can’t do corn. When I was a kid I ate a lot of corn on the cob and suddenly one day I just up and decided that I cannot tolerate the taste of corn anymore, and I haven’t eaten any since.

I went through phases. I apparently liked it when I was super little. Then I hated it for many years (the whole kernels stuck in your teeth thing–although I was fine with them getting stuck in my teeth in the form of popcorn). I came back to loving corn within the past 5-7 years. Maybe you’ll cycle back. Or even grow to love kailan one day?

Corn is pretty expensive in the U.S. this year due to the droughts in the midwest. Totally decimated this season’s crop.