A New Singapore

After about 2 1/2 years in Singapore, I find myself ready to find a new Singapore.

What does that mean?

I’m ready to take some tentative steps away from my comfort zone.  To try to shop for produce at wet markets instead of Cold Storage (don’t get me wrong-I love me some Cold Storage and the American comfort foods I find there).  To try some more local dishes.  To visit some new parts of the country, and to spend more time at places I’ve visited once or twice (like East Coast Park) more regularly.

I think I’m probably pretty normal in that I’m a creature of habit.  We have our family routines, and they tend to keep us in a fairly small radius in the central business district.  With Ellie in afternoon school, our days are generally filled by hanging out at home in the morning (or lazing about), school in the afternoon, a very short break and then bedtime (as she’s woken up earlier and earlier, I have been saddened to see her bedtime also move earlier and earlier).

But in January our schedule is going to be totally different.  Ellie is moving into morning Kindergarten (sob–Mah preshush baybee in Kindergarten!) in part because she is up earlier and earlier, and because she will not be able to continue gymnastics if she doesn’t move to mornings (all the age/skill appropriate classes are mid-afternoon/late afternoon).  We will have afternoons free for the zoo, for exploration, and for things we just don’t do much of now.

I’m excited to see what new sights and tastes await me.  But keep your expectations realistic–I still have a very limited palate and a child in a stroller.

This entry was posted in Singapore. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to A New Singapore

1. Claire says:

I’d be very happy to play a part in the exploring new things where I can 🙂

2. notabilia says:

If you need a partner (plus her child), holla. I can take you to the wet markets!

3. awesomeworldofceline says:

If you plan to explore up north, I would be happy to show you around. 🙂

I’ll definitely take you up on that, although it may be January or so. I feel like the end of the year is like one out of control train between all of our birthdays in the space of 3 weeks, graduation from pre-k and end of year gymnastics shows, a trip to the US for a family wedding and then Xmas. (I’m tired just thinking about it) I think I may stay a bit closer to home until all of that drama is over, but with the new year we have a big breather, and E starts a new schedule–that would be a great time to explore up North.

4. Laura says:

I look forward to reading about those new experiences 🙂

5. Susan says:

I’ve just moved to singapore from Australia. I look forward to reading your adventures!

6. Oh cool….can’t wait to hear about the new things to try even if you end up not liking them 😉 will make for interesting posts 🙂

7. Pingback: Mooncakes! « Expat Bostonians

8. naomi says:

YAY! It is SO easy to get into a habit or rut, isn’t it? Here’s to exploration!! (if you want to add my singa blog to your roll, it’s http://singapore.naomihattaway.com/)

I’ve added you and look forward to reading your blog. I can be horrible at keeping up at times, but I really love seeing Singapore through a variety of eyes–I’m often inspired to try a new place or food because of it.