Rape and sexual assault are terrifyingly common. There isn’t a woman alive who has not had the fear of rape and assault instilled in her. When it happens to you, it is hard to know where to turn for support.
In Singapore there is only one organization dedicated to supporting victims of rape and sexual assault–SACC (Sexual Assault Care Centre). Right now SACC needs our help to raise enough money to build a drop in centre, and the Singaporean government is willing to match our donations dollar for dollar. Please join me in supporting SACC with your donations.
SACC provides the following specialised services to support victims and survivors of sexual assault.
- Drop-in centre – On Monday-Friday, from 10am to 7pm, SACC will provide a safe space where you can immediately consult an on-site social worker and receive counselling, without any prior appointment.
- Helpline support – Call 6779 0282 to speak to a trained volunteer and receive support through the phone. You can also make an appointment to see a social worker or counsellor for further help. The helpline runs Monday-Friday, from 10am till midnight.
- Email support is provided on a daily basis. Write to firstname.lastname@example.org Emails are monitored every few hours.
- Befriender Service – Trained befrienders will accompany you to the police, the hospital or to court to report and follow your sexual assault case, providing information and emotional support through the various legal and medical processes. Contact the helpline or email to ask for a Befriender.
- Counselling and Case Management – Many sexual assault survivors find it helpful to talk to a counsellor. AWARE’s counsellors have the experience and sensitivity needed to support sexual assault victims. They will provide follow-up care counselling to victims of sexual assault. All support is provided on a strictly confidential basis. The cost of counselling is 1% of your monthly salary per session, at a minimum charge of $10 per session for those not working.Counselling is conducted at AWARE’s office on weekdays. Call the SACC Helpline or email us to ask for counselling support.
- Legal advice – Call us to make an appointment with an experienced lawyer to explore your legal options.
more info here
About Sexual Assault Care Centre
SACC was launched in May 2014 by AWARE, Singapore’s leading gender equality advocacy group, to support women who have experienced sexual assault. It grows out of, and continues the work of, AWARE’s previous Sexual Assault Befrienders Service (launched in 2011). You can see more details at www.sacc.sg.
How your donation helps:
- $20 – One free counselling session
- $50 – Transport for a befriender to go with a client to the police station, hospital or court
- $100 – One session of free legal advice
- $500 – To build a permanent drop-in centre
All donations of $50 or more are eligible for 2.5 tax exemption in Singapore.
We need to provide you with a tax-exemption receipt for you to claim this relief when filing your taxes next year. If you would like this receipt, please drop an email to email@example.com with your full name, Singapore IC number and address, and we will mail you the receipt.